unaffiliated fellowship all rights reserved © 2019
- We take the Bible too seriously, to read it all literally.
- We believe the Bible is inspired but not dictated by the Holy Spirit.
- One of the reasons we honor the Bible is because it's not affraid to reveal human mistakes, feelings, weaknesses, and failures.
- We read the Bible prayerfully, believing the Holy Spirit will help us to understand, apply and interpret correctly.
- We seek to apply full attention to Scripture, Tradition, Reason and Experience.
- We realize that interpretation is part of reading and studying the Bible.
- We do our best to read the Biblical texts in their original languages.
- We consider the best available Biblical Scholarship.
- We seek to read passages in context.
- We seek to read and understand passages with consideration of the historical socio-political context.
- We employ a hermeneutic of compassion, love and justice.
- We try to let Scripture interpret Scripture.
- We follow Jesus' example in being willing to reinterpret passages and theologies in light of His teachings and better understandings.
- We seek to do the above in love with those of different understandings in community.
- We repeat these steps frequently as new information and scholarship comes in.
Adapted from Roger Wolsey article, (Ways Progressives Interpret the Bible)